Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Overnight update

Hi Everyone,

I've been at the hospice all night. We got a call from my sister around 2:10am saying that my dad's breathing has changed/declined rapidly and that it would be a good idea if the family came down.

Darwin and I had JUST seen him about 14 hours previously and he was "fine", and was fine up until around 10pm last night, but things have taken a turn for the worse.

His breathing is very laboured, and the nurses are giving him medication to deal with his congestion, his agitation and his pain. The pain meds are given every 4 hours to keep him pain-free, but he is no longer coherent, so we don't really know how much pain he's in. He occasionally gets agitated and his arms start to flail, so they try to keep him somewhat sedated.

I got about 2 hours of sleep last night, so I tried to get some shut-eye around 6am, but between my dad, the nurses, and the other patients, I gave up around 7:30 and decided to maybe try later.

My brother has done some religious rites (the eldest male has to do it) in preparation for my dad's next "journey" and we've all said our goodbyes to him, and given him the permission to leave us. We've also told him what we think he needs to hear - that we'll all take care of my mom and that there's nothing to worry about anymore.

I've left the hospice to come home, grab something to eat, shower, and then head back to the hospice or my parents' house (we still have stuff to do as possession date is next week). Someone from the family will be with my dad at all times so at least he won't be alone.

My sister-in-law who used to work in a hospital said that many people who know that they are dying are "waiting" for the right moment, and often after their family has gathered and given them permission to leave, they do. In many ways, with my sister's visit from Calgary planned for this week, I think we all thought that if it was going to happen, it would happen now. I don't wish his passing, but I wish that he no longer suffers.

Anyway - thanks for listening, reading and your support.

I'll update again when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment