Saturday, June 11, 2011

Oh what a night ...


Being Saturday, I of course was at work today. I started the day off feeling not quite right (sore throat, ear ache, and generally feeling queasy) but I wasn't sick enough to stay home, so I headed in to work for about 8am. I stopped off to get oatmeal and a bagel at Tim Horton's on the way, and Dena, one of my close friends, stopped off at McDonald's to get us coffee (the bagel was for her).
Every Saturday I like to send electronic updates to my staff on their quarter-to-date results, and although it can be quite time consuming, I know they appreciate the information.
I had sushi for lunch - probably not the best thing to have when you're not feeling so hot, but I didn't have a ton of it, and by day's end, I was feeling better.
I came home, cleaned up the house a bit, and started to get ready for GNO (Girls Night Out).
I made dinner reservations a few weeks ago at Cafe Dario for myself and 7 friends. My best friend Paula from Selkirk came in for dinner (Selkirk is about an hour outside of Winnipeg). I don't get to see her often enough, so seeing her is always a real treat. I also got to see Shannon whom I haven't seen since my Dad's memorial service. Shannon and Joanne both drove over to my place so we could all carpool together. Cass and Betty came together and met as at the restaurant, and rounding off the group were Rebeca and Rhiann. Rhiann is honestly THE funniest person I know, and she's wickedly smart and witty, which I think makes a lethal combination for the most comedic people. In my opinion, I think not all smart people are funny, but all funny people are smart. What do you think of my theory?
If it weren't for the great company, I'm not sure I'd be so happy about Cafe Dario mainly because of the terrible service, but dinner itself was quite good, especially considering the $35/person price tag, which included your single choice between 5-6 appetizers (I had the Escargot Diablo), soup (sweet corn and tomato), salad (with a very good roasted red pepper dressing), your single choice between 5-6 entrees (I had the new york strip loin which came with garlic mashed potatoes and pureed beets), and dessert (chocolate orange mousse). When you consider you'd probably pay $30 for the steak alone at a restaurant, the price is quite amazing I think. I think everyone felt full but not stuffed after the meal, and every single course was as visually appealing as it was delicious.
After dinner, I drove Rhiann home (downtown), then Shannon and Joanne and I drove back to my place so they could get their vehicles.
Events like this remind me not only how important it is to have a great network of friends, but how lucky I am to have such a supportive group of ladies in my life.
A toast to great friends!
I can't wait to see you all at the next dinner!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment