Wednesday, May 4, 2011

When the going gets tough, the tough get going ...

I'd hardly call Billy Ocean an inspirational singer, but to coin a phrase from his song, it's time to get going - back to work that is.
I talked to my mom this morning and we both realized that today is the first Wednesday that we're not heading to the hospice. There will be many more firsts this week, that's for sure. As I sit here and type, I think of one of the first things I'll see when I get back to my office - the hospice phone number and my Dad's phone number pinned to my office wall, right in plain sight as my visual reminder to call and check up on him (as if I needed one).
I don't quite know what to expect - other than hundreds and hundreds of emails. I'm anxious. Anxious that I'll turn into a puddle of tears at the first person to offer their condolences that hasn't already done so by way of email, flowers, cards, or my Dad's memorial service. Anxious about all the things I may have forgotten. Anxious about deadlines. I just want things to go back to normal.
It's only been two weeks, and yet in some ways, it all feels like a very distant point in the past, probably more so because things have been moving at lightening speed for the past couple of weeks. Nonetheless, as anxious as I am, I'm also excited.
We made plans tonight for lunch on Sunday with Darwin's mom for Mother's Day, and then we'll probably do dinner with my Mom. Even though Mother's Day is right around the corner, I can't help but think about Father's Day in June - the first without my Dad. The last few years we've celebrated each Father's Day, Christmas, birthday etc as though it could be our last, and now it's here, and I'm not sure what to make of it all. I guess we'll know when we get there.
Anyway - I'm off to spend my last few hours in peace, quiet, and reflection before I go back to work tomorrow.
Wish me luck, and make it a great one!!

2 comments:

  1. When in doubt, just breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... how do you feel after day 1? From what I saw, you did great!

    ReplyDelete